Sunday, August 9, 2009

who are you? whats your problem?

Me and my husband have been together for 12 years now, highschool "sweethearts" though that term almost makes me want to wretch. we've been together since we were 15, friends for a year, then boy/girlfriend at 16. we've been through ups and downs and finally decided to get hitched. i always thought when we decided to get pregnant that it would involve a wild threesome night: me, him, and jack daniels and then just get a little crazy and BAM, "hey mom, you're a grandma". but unfortunately that was not the path I would take.

Turns out I have PCOS. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. What is that? Well in long short, it messes your entire menstrual cycle up and gives you a whole lot of other symptoms such as: it keeps you from losing weight! it messes up your insulin/testosterone/estrogen levels so your body holds onto your fat more than most people, no periods or no ovulation, acne, hair loss, and general fatigue. You're ovaries are also covered in tons of tiny little cysts each month, but never ovulate or produces a good follice. Lots of more info here: http://www.pcosupport.org/

I used to work at an OB/GYN office in highschool and the summers during college. I remember organizing the fertility patient charts and their long long sheets of ultrasound printouts thinking, I'll never have to go through this. It was like a foreign world. Follicles, tons and tons of visits, ultrasound appts up the rear end, injections, grief and almost psychotic behavior at times. But here I am.

And in I don't know, if it's a strange twist of irony, but I'm having my fertility treatments done at the same place I had worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment